The Best Pirate Ship Toy / Toy Pirate Ship Play Sets of 2017
Let’s first take a quick look 5 of the best options currently on the market. Then we will go more into detail about each one before we offer our final recommendation for the overall best pirate ship toy!
Top 5 Pirate Ship Toy Comparison Table
Top 5 Toy Pirate Ships – Reviews
Most kids who have heard of Peter Pan or many other children’s stories may want to play with pirate toy ships. When they do, it’s important for parents to know which toy is the best option. We reviewed the following items based on some of the following factors: safety, suitability, quality, and value for money.
What makes a good pirate ship toy? It is, of course, essential for the toy to be as realistic as the real thing, in terms of the vessel itself, and the accessories that it comes with. The vessel has to be distinguishable as a pirate’s vessel compared to other generic boats. Value for money is also relevant, since you won’t mind spending money on the toy as long as it’s worth it, and don’t want to overpay for toys or playsets that are not worth the money.
- Turn dial to engage character figures in a sword fight
- Spin the characters to lift the anchor and extend the plank
- Pull out cannons from ship for added seafaring style
- Includes: pirate ship, 2 figures & swords
This Fisher Price pirate ship is pretty big and comes with two small figures as well as sword accessories. The playset is very reasonably priced and is one of the best playsets on the market. The boat stands approximately 14″ tall and measures approximately 18″ from the stern to the bow. It comes with blue nylon sails that go up and down. The playset also comes with cool mechanical operations such as the retractable plank and the anchor that can be hoisted up. These features aside we just outright love the cool colors that it is sporting. They give off a very distinct raider vessel vibe, which helps distinguish it from any generic vessel!
Although this Fisher Price pirate ship does not float in water, it makes for long hours of imaginative play with wheels that help the ship move easily across the floor. Although the playset only comes with two pirate figures, those who have purchased the other Fisher Price Imaginext pirate ship like the fact that the pieces can be interchanged with other figures in the Imaginext kingdom.
The Fisher Price Imaginext Black and Red Pirate Ship is recommended for ages three to eight and will provide hours of imaginative play. It is definitely a very good buy.
- The vessel is rather large so multiple kids can share and play at once.
- There are cool mechanical operations that it can do.
- Pieces or figures from other toys of the Imaginext kingdom can be interchanged.
- The exterior colors and design are very realistic.
- The boat does not float in water, although there are wheels that can help the vessel move across the floor.
- Set sail for swashbuckling adventures with the Pirate Raiders' Ship
- Features three main sails and can outrun pursuing soldier patrols
- Figures can bend, sit, stand and turn their heads
- Encourages children to explore and learn while having fun
- A thoughtful gift for any young boy or girl!
First we have a video to help showcase this product:
The Playmobil Pirate Ship – Raiders’ Playset is the biggest among the vessels on this list and stands at approximately 20″ tall. It features three main sails and is still reasonably priced when considering all the items included in the playset. The inclusive figures has points of articulation, and can sit, stand, bend and turn their heads. The cannon that comes with the Playmobil pirate ship is functioning and the vessel also comes with storage.
The vessel itself comes decked out with intricate details and accessories aside from the cannon. The entire playset includes swords, torches, a pet monkey, and the Jolly Roger. It is recommended for kids aged 4 to 10 years old.
One of the things kids can enjoy while playing Playmobil Pirate Ship – Raiders’ Playset is that it can float in the water, so it’s perfect for playing in the tub or the pool. Since it’s a big boat, it takes a fair amount of assembly, but nothing too bad as the pieces do snap right into place. Depending on how handy you are, your mileage may vary. One of cons from current owners is that there are no strings that will allow the sail to go up.
Overall, the Playmobil Pirate Ship – Raiders’ Playset can bring pirate adventures to life while helping kids embark on amazing pirate-related play time, and is overall our favorite playset on this list.
- The vessel is huge (26.4 x 9.4 x 20.5 inches) so multiple kids can share and play at once.
- The inclusive figures can sit, stand, bend and turn their heads like real people, which makes for more enjoyable role-playing.
- There are a lot of accessories that come with the playset.
- The vessel itself can float in water, which makes for enjoyable playtime in the tub or in the pool.
- The boat requires an assembly process, which might be difficult for some. Many users found it not to be too bad.
- The sail does not go up due to a lack of strings.
- 2 cannons that light up and make sound with a push of a button
- Includes 4 molded Pirates
- Moving crane to move cargo
- KidKraft - Domestic
The KidKraft Pirate Ship playset can enrich a kid’s mind while sailing dangerous seas and searching for buried treasures. This playset comes with fully loaded features that include treasure chest that lights up at a push of a button, a set of 3 molded pirates, a jail cell where prisoners can be kept, a long rope ladder, and a cannon that lights up and can make sounds at a push of a button.
The KidKraft Pirate Ship playset is large enough that multiple children can share and play at the same time. The vessel stands at approximately 21″ tall from top to bottom. It’s made of a composite wood and features a sturdy construction. The vessel does not float and does not come with wheels either.
The actually vessel itself does require some assembly, but fortunately includes detailed instructions. Some owners have reported some minor flaws in the KidKraft Pirate Ship Playset, such as some parts being chipped, speckled wood, screws being too small and some loose parts. However, these flaws are not significant enough that the kids loved the playset any less.
The KidKraft Pirate Ship playset is more expensive than the other items on this list, but comes with more items and is a larger set than any of the others.
- The boat is pretty big so multiple kids can share and play at once.
- Although the boat requires assembly, it comes with step-by-step instructions.
- The boat comes fully loaded with features that a real raider’s vessel might have.
- The vessel does not float in water and does not have wheels that can help it move across the floor.
- There are a few tiny flaws that owners noticed like chipped or loose parts.
- Fire cannon balls to fight off Captain Hook!
- Comes with a Jake figure and three cannon balls
- Hatch in the deck captures prisoners
- Comes with a slide for Jake to make a quick getaway
- Treasure stores inside the captain's quarters
Fans of Disney’s Jake and the Neverland Pirates will definitely enjoy the Fisher-Price Jake and The Neverland Pirates – Jake’s Pirate Adventure Bucky. This playset features the Jake pirate ship from the Disney show. Jake’s pirate ship of course comes with a Jake figure. It also comes with three cannon balls that can be used to fight off Captain Hook.
The vessel comes fully equipped with everything a young pirate needs in Neverland to fight off Captain Hook. It comes with a deck, a hatch where prisoners can be kept, a captain’s quarters where the treasures can be stored, and a slide where Jake can make a quick getaway.
The Fisher Price Jake Pirate Ship – Adventure Bucky is recommended for kids aged 24 months to 5 years old.
The actual vessel is noiseless and comes fully assembled, so there is no need to worry about any kind of assembly process. It is also well-constructed and comes with bright realistic colors. From top to bottom the vessel measures about 13″ tall, and is big enough, but not too big that cannot be easily stored. Although the boat doesn’t float, it comes with wheels that allows mobility when on the floor.
With all the features in mind, and considering that this is derived from a popular television show, kids will definitely enjoy playtime with their favorite young pirate.
- This toy is reasonably priced with many features that is based on the beloved Disney show.
- It is big enough but not too big for easy storage.
- The vessel comes fully assembled and is pretty noiseless.
- The vessel does not float in water, although there are wheels that can help it move across the floor.
- Hungry for adventure? Push Power Pad to activate "shark biting" action - and capture prisoners in the ship's hull!
- Lift hatch to reveal captured prisoners
- Turn another Power Pad left to reveal the treasure's hiding spot ... turn right to fire cannons!
- Includes Shark Bite Pirate Ship playset, 2 pirate figures, 2 helmets, 2 swords, 1 cannon ball, 4 projectiles, a spyglass and treasure
This Fisher Price Imaginext Pirate Ship, Shark Bite version, comes with action-packed features that your kids will definitely enjoy and love. Since it’s a Shark Bite Ship, the vessel itself comes with a ‘shark biting’ action. To activate the shark biting action, just push the power pad and capture prisoners in the hull of the boat. There’s another power pad you can turn left to reveal a hiding spot for the treasures. Turn the same power pad right to fire cannons.
The Fisher Price Imaginext Shark Bite Pirate Ship comes as a playset featuring the following: two pirate figures with two helmets, four projectiles, one cannon ball, two swords, some treasures, and a spyglass.
The boat is made of plastic and doesn’t float but comes with wheels at the bottom. The playset also comes with interactive parts including large sails, a plank to walk, a prisoner cage that hangs, projectile launchers with missiles, drop down anchor and netting, among a few. Also, the large cannot can shoot the two cannon balls quite far.
The vessel stands approximately 16″ tall and is one the most affordable options on this list. The playset is recommended for kids aged 3 to eight years old. The Fisher Price Imaginext Shark Bite Pirate Ship is one of the best pirate toy ships available in the market with all the interactive features.
- The Imaginext Shark Bite Pirate Ship toy is enjoyable with its ‘shark-biting’ action and other action-packed features.
- It is overall very reasonably priced and comes with a lot of cool features and interactive accessories.
- The boat does not float in water, although there are wheels that can help it move across the floor.
Three Things to Consider When Buying a Toy Pirate Ship
- The most important thing to consider when buying a pirate ship toy is that it must be age appropriate. Most toys nowadays have age recommendations, which you should be mindful of.
- Make sure that you choose a toy that is an appropriate size and weight. You don’t want a toy that’s too heavy for your kids because they won’t enjoy playing with toys that are too big.
- Most of the toys in the market nowadays also come with expansion sets, which are something you can buy separately in case you want additional features or accessories for your kids’ toys. This is particularly relevant to pirate toy ships because the original playsets only come with a limited number of figures or accessories. A popular accessory that we recommend and have extensive reviews for is a pirate telescope.
Conclusion – The Best Pirate Ship Toy
Whatever you or your kids might be looking for in a pirate ship toy, it is important that you find the one that your children will enjoy the most. Whether it’s the many accessories or interactive action features, make sure to pick one that is appropriate, especially for your kid’s age. Most of these toys come with small accessories that are choking hazards to very young children. This is why there are always age recommendations. A great item to buy with any of these ships would be a toy pirate chest to store the accessories or any pirate loot in, and you can click here to see more of the accessories that we review on our website.
We have included a wide variety of ships in our list because some older kids might prefer different features or toys that have additional accessories that can be bought separately. At any rate, any of the toys/playsets that were reviewed are all good buys. It’s up to you to choose which one is the best for you.