DIY Pirate Telescope
This pirate telescope DIY is fun and easy to make. Besides that, you can make it with materials you already have in your home!
What You’ll Need to Make the Telescope
- a paper cup
- 2 or 3 toilet paper rolls
- black or gold paint
- a piece of plain clear plastic
How to Make the Telescope
- First, cut the toilet paper rolls in half lengthwise. Do not cut the cup.
- Then paint both the inside and outside of the paper cup and the toilet paper rolls. You can do this in black, gold, or any color you want. But if you wish for your telescope to be more detailed and realistic, paint it black and then add some gold paint on the rims.
- The easiest way to paint these pieces is with a sponge brush, but you can use a brush or a regular sponge, as well. And, of course, wait for the paint to dry before moving on to the next step.
- And now it’s time to glue the rolls back together. You can use either glue or tape to do so. However, the tape is more visible, so maybe it’s better to use glue. But, before that, you should mark how wide you want them to be. The cup should be the widest, and all the other pieces should fit into it. Mark each roll to be smaller than the previous one.
Basically, they should range from widest to smallest. Doing this will actually make the telescope collapsible, and therefore more realistic.
- After you’ve glued all the toilet paper rolls back together and waited for them to dry, you can start assembling the telescope. Align the rolls from widest (which is the cup) to smallest. Each part should fit within the wider one for about half an inch. Shift them all to one side. Then put glue on the parts where all the pieces are touching on the sides of the rims.
Wait for everything to dry for about half an hour, and then you can test whether your telescope folds.
- To make the telescope ‘glass’, you’ll need some clear plastic material. This material is usually used as packaging, and you can find it in any store or supermarket.
- Use the end of the cup, which is the widest part of the telescope, to draw a circle on the plastic material. Then, using a regular school compass, draw a smaller circle inside the one you just traced. Cut around the smaller circle.
Making the circle smaller will make the ‘glass’ fit on the inside of the telescope rather than at the very end. That way, it will resemble a telescope more.
- Finally, put the glue on the sides of the circle and put it in place.
- Here’s a fun tip for those who want their telescope to be a bit extra: buy some scrapbook paper that has a wood-like pattern and glue it on the cup. It will make the telescope look even more realistic.